Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Being Mad At Steve Harvey"


I have always been a fan of Steve Harvey since I saw him the first time he stepped on the Def Comedy Jam Stage so many years ago. His swag was so original and dapper, I felt he was special. Then watching him on his television show reinforced it even that much more. More so, my wife and I hunted down a suit from his collection. Steve Harvey has several business ventures and has recently written a book. The book, “Think Like A Man…” has grown into a motion picture. Everyone I know has rushed out to see it or had planned on doing so. Now, my problem with this movie and book; even his (Steve Harvey’s) ideology on relationships.


In his book, Mr. Harvey has puts much of the control in the hands of the women who are looking for relationships with men. He tells them “secrets” on how men think and how to break through the thought processes of men pertaining to how they (we) think towards and about women. The concept is not an issue, but the idea of there being a top secret code or process makes this thinking a problem for many men. I could easily compare Mr. Harvey’s illogical ideas to my relationship with my wife, but I won’t do that. Better yet, I’ll give my interpretation how I believe relationships can be more successful. This will be done without having to write a book.

Like most men, I have to come to hate it being said men are dogs and women are so innocent in the game. As a man, I have friends who tell me their stories about relationships and the nightmares they experience in dating in today’s society. Women claim there aren’t any available “good men” out there, but I beg to differ. I think the problem is that there are good men out there, but there just aren’t as many deserving women to match those good men. WHOA!!!! I hear so many women claiming to want a good man, but I truly think they aren’t deserving of one. First, women need to define what their idea of a good man is and does for them. Then those women need to understand if they can handle what it takes to be in such a relationship. To be in a relationship with a “good man”, you should understand that desire goes for men as well. The majority of men want a “good woman” to love and who loves them. This sounds as though it should be an easy collaboration of two people wanting the same thing, but it’s not.

From the perspective of a man, we want an opportunity to be “the man” in a relationship. Men don’t like to be directed much. If a man asks you (the woman) for your assistance about something, he is asking because he trusts you as a helpmate and won’t feel belittled by your input. Most men rarely ask for a woman’s input (in the beginning of the relationship) because men have this stubborn ideology that we know everything. Women should trust this and understand this thinking. I’m not saying it’s right, but it’s right to the mental stability of a man.

Well, this blog topic has to be cut short due to my inability to get my friends to join me at going to see the movie. I wanted to see the movie because a friend thought it would help to see the movie before I passed judgment. Too bad, I wanted to give it an honest critque, =D!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment