Saturday, July 13, 2013

From A Kid’s Perspective


Obie, Solo, Eli, Delo, Alex, Terrell, Nas, Nile, N'kya and Naim
Yesterday, while shopping at the grocery store with my three older children, a cashier stated he was having a “Not-so-well” day because George Zimmerman may be acquitted. The Zimmerman/Martin Case has grown and become, to many people, an important and emotional case in American social occurrences. It’s been divided based on Zimmerman, a white male, shooting and killing Trayvon Martin, a young African-American male. Honestly, in the beginning, I found myself in a conflicted position. Being African-American, I was initially angry and described the shooting as another example of the racist ideologies, which have forged ignorance of racial divide in America; initially. Then as a gun enthusiast, advocate of civilian conceal and carry, I saw myself jump to the conservative defense of ‘Self-Defense” in the case. Once again, I saw myself jump back to across that divide as a parent of three young African-American males (and one daughter, who’s African-American as well). So it would be safe to say, I’m finding myself on the fence of the Zimmerman/Martin issue.
My Family

While driving home with a truck full of groceries, I turned the radio on and listened to some Meek Mills with the kids. I had totally forgotten, that quickly, about the conversation with the Wal-Mart cashier. Nearly halfway home, my second oldest, Nile, asked a question. Nile asked, “Dad, I know the type of person you are. What do you think about Zimmerman and Martin?” The question set an alternate tone in the truck from enjoying Meek Mills to a serious topic. I mean my 14-year old son wanted to know my opinion on an issue that directly affected him and his siblings. It affects all of his cousins and his entire community. I was obligated to answer honestly; both as a father and an African-American male.

Me and the boys
I told my children, I feel this case is a horror and Zimmerman should be convicted because he unquestionably racial profiled Trayvon. I told them from my experiences as an African-American, I am appalled because this is another example of African-Americans being murdered and nothing happening. I told him what most African-Americans and liberal thinking people would have said. Then my 12-year old daughter said, “I just don’t understand why everyone is so upset and making a huge fuss about Zimmerman shooting Trayvon…” My eyes cut as I glared back to her in the back of the truck. “I mean, I feel bad for him, but why is this one different?”

N'kya
My heart sank. This is my daughter. A product of Daniela and I. I mean, we believe in our culture, people, race and our way of life and the idea of fighting for racial/cultural injustices. What is my daughter talking about? Then I noticed my 15-year old and 14-year old sons in agreement with her statement. I had to ask, “What do you mean?”

Then the unexpected happened. Nile, my 14-year old who initiated the conversation said, “Mark Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin, right?”

“Yes!” I replied.

“And this has become a very important issue in our country because a white man shot and killed a young black boy, right?” He continued.

Okay, Nile has the basic idea. I was nervous for a second.

Nile: Always so serious
Then he continued, “So Dad, why is Zimmerman, a white man killing Trayvon, a black boy getting more press and more community anger from the African-American community than the many killings in Milwaukee and around the country of young black boys by other young black boys?”  

WHOA!!!!!


My children asked why it was more concerning and more pressing, more news worth that Zimmerman killed Trayvon, a white man killing a black boy than the multitudes of black on black murders in Milwaukee and around the country.

Nasir with his Mom
My oldest, Nasir chimed in saying, “Honestly, I think it’s worse when we kill one another. It’s genocide!”

WOW!!!

My children are truly products of their culture. At 15, 14 and 12-years old, our children have more understanding on issues that our community faces on a daily basis. These three young African-American children, who live in Milwaukee’s inner-city amongst other African-American youth find it more important to deal with the murders around their community by those in their community than a murder issue based on issues not directly affecting them. I applaud you Nasir, Nile and N’kya for having the wear-with-all to express yourselves and develop your own thoughts and ideologies on this matter. You have truly taught the teacher. Your mother would be so proud of you.    
Daniela and Ray Ray's Family

1 comment:

  1. Wow Ray, your children are intelligent young people who make valid points and take notice of their surroundings. They're well in tune with the news and reality. I commend you and Daniella as parents~ job well done! One thing the press and people are missing is that Zimmerman, although he may a racist, he is Hispanic, not white... doesn't make it any more acceptable, but it is a fact that should be corrected in the media. With love and respect, Stephine

    ReplyDelete