Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"Relationship Advice: Player Coaches..."


Earlier, I got a call from a friend. It wasn’t unusual for him to call me nor was it odd what we discussed. I’ve always been that friend who people came to for relationship advice. I was telling my nephews how I would get paid to write letters to girls for their boyfriends, but I’d then start falling for the girl. Wow… I’m still always doing too much.


My friend called to get advice on his current relationship. This week’s issue isn’t anything super important. Well, not to me, but I’m always there for him. Anyway, I had an epiphany of sorts while he told me about their current problems. I want to share it with you and see how you feel and your opinion on my analysis.


Being in a relationship is like being on a sports team. Actually, it’s like each person being a player/coach on the team. Like a sports team, everyone has his/her position and duties in that position to be successful in the game or relationship. Everyone can’t coach all the time nor can everyone play all the time. The art of being a winning team is to know when to lead and when to be led.











I don’t understand what people who claim to want to be in relationships don’t get. These people wave a banner of looking for a companion or searching for the perfect person, which there’s no such thing yet, don’t put the work in themselves. They believe it’s just supposed to happen. In relationships, you can’t be that darned selfish! Too many people are on that “Me, Me, Me….” crap. If you spend a majority of your time focused on doing for your mate and keeping them your focus, you can only win as a team.

We spoke for a little over an hour. I knew he heard me, but I also know he didn’t get it. Damn, bro, why do you have to make it so hard. You claim she’s the one, but you do things to jeopardize the relationship at every turn. The relationship or team should be about one another and not the individual. Find someone you want to “Do” for and just do it. You’ll have everything you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment