Thursday, October 13, 2011

When I Grow Up...


My youngest sister wrote a FaceBook post this morning asking the question: “Why do so many young black males (now white and Asians too) want to be Rappers and Basketball Players?”

I hear her question then have to fall into comfort in knowing, my wife and I are known as parents who are far more supporting than wanting our sons to limit themselves at being Rappers or Basketball Players. Being an African-American and living in a predominately African-American community in Milwaukee, I find my family to be a rare breed. Although, we push athletics and social involvement, my wife and I understand the importance of our sons and our daughter to focus on academic supremacy.



My oldest child, Nasir is currently going through the process of researching and finding his own high school. He understands how going to the “right” school can put him in an environment, which will propel him into a league of financial security and social success. Amazing! 

I still find myself saying, “I wish I could go back to my youth. I would change so many things!” 

It’s these haunting thoughts that terrify me the most. Those thoughts make me question my worth and my usefulness. I don’t want them (my children) to work jobs. I want them to have careers. Real careers full of opportunity and growth.

I remember saying "When I grow Up..." Well, I still find those words creeping from my lips. I hope he finds success in everything he does. Al of my children deserve happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment