Sunday, March 6, 2011

24 Years and Counting


This year, November 11th, will mark the 24th year anniversary of my father being shot in the line of duty as a police officer in El Dorado, AR. As the child of an officer wounded in the line of duty and nearly loosing my father due to his injuries, I was pulled back into emotional shock, which I felt on that dreaded night we received the news he had been shot. Each time, I hear of a police officer being wounded or killed, I feel this way.

A Milwaukee Police Officer and owner of a local café quaintly called “500 Café”, died and his establishment was set on fire. The Rumor Mill has begun and it’s running fast. He was shot, he died in the fire, this, that, whatever!! All I know is another person who served the community is gone leaving his family to pick up the rumble (no pun intended). What has me upset the most is that as we drove past the crime scene, my children saw the words written on the building and his door to his upstairs apartment from the café. The words read, “F*CK YOU COP.”

It amazes me that people would really do this or even accept this in their neighborhood. To broadcast your ignorance and disrespect for a person who was dedicated to the community and a businessman. The police badge is a symbol of authority and respect. Those who did this have shown their lack of civil cause. I pray for the officer’s family and hope a swift and arrest to get the answers of this tragedy.        

No comments:

Post a Comment