Friday, March 4, 2011

The Civil Rights Leader and The Girl Scout

Today was a very hectic and reforming day for me. I went to drop my son (Nile) and daughter (N’kya) off at school this morning. They attend Highland Montessori Community School here in Milwaukee. The school is located on 12th Highland directly off the Highway exit before the Marquette Enter-change. Nearly 20-minutes after dropping them off, I received a phone call from the school. It was Ms. Jamie. She said, N’kya needed to talk with me. When N’kya got onto the phone, she sounded a tad disturbed. Now, you all know what happens when my baby is concerned!



Apparently, some of her classmates were told (by N’kya herself) the Girl Scout Cookies would arrive to the school by this Friday (today) and when they didn’t this created a problem. Some of the classmates paid for their cookies and have waited for weeks now. N’kya was upset and concerned that her fellow classmates would treat her in, what she called, a rough manner. All my plans for the day were then altered. It was all about easing my baby-girls distress.



My wife (Daniela) and I, along with Nasir and his friend Naji’juan from his school, went to pick up the cookies from the Girl Scout Regional Office. Once we turned in the money and picked up the cookies, we headed to Highland to get these sugar-deprived classmates their cookies. When we reached the school, N’kya and Ms. Dena were out there waiting. I wasn’t satisfied!!! Daniela and Ms. Dena began organizing the cookies so I ran into the building because it had to be known that my baby-girl did what she said she was going to do!




When I entered the hallway, I saw Mr. Barry and Mr. Brandon standing with cameras. I saw there were adults in the classroom and the children with oddly calm. This is something very “Not” the norm in Ms. Jean’s Class. Ms. Kim and Mr. Brian came walking towards the class and she said, “Jesse Jackson is coming today!!” Jesse Jackson? Did she mean, “Run Jesse Run” Rev. Jesse Jackson? My thoughts were not on Jesse Jackson or the Operation PUSH. It was on my baby-girl!!



I walked out of the building and right into the caravan bringing
Rev. Jackson to the school. When I got to the street, a young man in the lead car asked if this was Sara Scott. I told him this is where he was going and continued to my car. Just as I opened my car door, I yelled to N’kya, “Kya!! I’m totally not satisfied how you handled this cookie delivery!!” I said this just as Rev. Jackson walked by our car. Daniela, a lifelong Democrat, was in awe and smiling at him as he waved to her and spoke. I on the other hand, who’s not a Democrat, saw him and continued into the car. As we pulled off and turned the corner, I told my wife, “THAT WAS JESSE!!!!!!” Over 38-years ago, my parents and I lived in Chicago and received furniture from Jesse Jackson’s Operation PUSH. Thanks, Rev. Jackson. It amazes me how politics take a backseat to fame and celebrity. It was cool seeing the children at Highland got the opportunity to share time with a living civil rights leader.    

1 comment:

  1. Clearly, the apple didn't fall far from the tree! She is the best mix of her mother and father! I'm proud of N'Kya...she's a name that people should remember...fast forward 15 years! Now, this is the type of person who should be governing over the state! :)

    ReplyDelete