Friday, December 14, 2012

"The Day You Get A Visit From The Reaper"

If its one thing I know better than anything, it's our time here on this Earth, in this life, has an expiration date. We won't be here forever. We'll all be charged with living our lives then leaving our legacy for our sons and daughters. We'll live as long as our names are mentioned in tales and stories of deeds we've done. The men and women we'll become in legend will be forged today, in these days.

I ask, "When the Reaper comes, how do you want to leave this life?"

Throughout my life, I'd been surrounded by men of virtue. Men of cause and valor. As a child, I dreamt of fighting in the middle of a grand battlefield amongst thousands of warriors dying for a great purpose. There was no good or bad. Simply warriors doing their duty as warriors. My blade chipped and blooded from the warriors who I'd slayed on that very battlefield. I pictured the Reaper watching the battle from a position high on top of a hill. The Reaper sees me and chooses me. And with a very shakey point of his finger, my fate would be chosen. I'd be struck down by sword or arrow to die on that battlefield.

Hahaha.... Well, my idea or picture of my death was very grand at that time. Years and experience has shown my death may not be that dramatic. The swords, arrows and battlefields are gone and replaced by guns, mass killings and health issues. Some of us wish to die by old age, but as my grandparents and parents get older, I find that method to be slow and more painful in ways. I guess here's a problem. If we could decide our own method of dying, we'd create a way to prepare our families and friends for our deaths. So we don't know exactly how well leave this existence so we must life it to the fullest of our capabilities.

My plans are to live everyday as my last in hopes to die a good death. To accept death and teach my children to accept death as the Reaper comes for us all.

#GracieJiujitsu #47Ronin #Mortality #Samurai #Bushido

No comments:

Post a Comment